My dog is my favorite non-human animal on earth.
Whenever we arrive at the dog park, we are barbarians at the gates, restless to permeate the membranes of these verdant cocoons.
The dog is my fierce friend, my loyal companion. When I’m depressed, he energizes me with his playfulness. When I need to relax, he is a palm frond for my aching ass muscles.
Sometimes people try to “tame” the contrarian fires burning in my dog’s wolf-warrior soul. To slow this elegant engine of destruction from its march through neighbors’ backyards and their cat-litter boxes.
If someone ever tried to hurt my dog, the forecast would call for a torrent of fist-showers. My knuckles would rain hell on his assailant with the ferocity of a valkyrie carrying its freshest kill to Valhalla.
But I admire the chaos and incivility that dogs bring to the table. Chaos sells, and my dog’s buying.
Fun tidbit: My ex-wife and I enjoy joint custody of the dog. When he’s not with me being awesome, he’s protecting her and my son from the city’s most ignoble scum.
He is the greatest canine I know.
photo by Jackie Baisa
Latest posts by Michael Cade (Posts)
- September = football = pick ’em leagues - September 3, 2013
- Audio files: Happy birthday, Herbie Hancock - April 12, 2013
- Audio files: The pathos of Jacko, plus muumuus and balloons - February 27, 2013
- David Lynch and Russell Brand meditating - December 4, 2012
- A 5-panel, post-Thanksgiving meditation on the greatness of the Incredible Hulk - November 23, 2012