A lot of big hits have been racing up the summer pop charts in recent weeks.
Unfortunately, I can’t name any of them.
So I’ve decided to create a super-great SUMMERTIME PLAYLIST of my own.
Here it is, divided into impenetrable and indecipherable themes. To paraphase something Joe Garden wrote in The Onion circa 1996, my list has all the consistency of an 8th grade mix-tape. I can’t promise that the chosen songs have anything to do with summer. They probably don’t.
Here is the playlist.
- “Dreamer Deceiver,” by Judas Priest (this is epic with a capital “E.” Rob Halford emits the lonesome coyote call. Highly recommended).
- “The Traitor,” by Herbie Hancock (this song cooks with gas and you really have to experience the entirety of it).
- “Lilin,” by John Zorn
- “Mekapses Yitonisa,” by Estradasphere (great time signature — I think it’s 7/8).
- “Sanctuary,” by Mahavishnu Orchestra
- “Fourth of July,” by X
INDEFATIGABLE PEP & CHEER
- “Da Doo Ron Ron,” by Shaun Cassidy
- “Jesus is a Soul Man,” by Johnny Rivers
- “South City Midnight Lady,” by the Doobie Brothers
SPECIAL REO SPEEDWAGON-ONLY SECTION!
- “It’s Everywhere,” by REO Speedwagon
- “It Was You,” by Aretha Franklin
- “Learnin’ to Love,” by Ween
- “Sweet Thing,” by Rufus and Chaka Khan
- “You Don’t Know What Love Is,” by Chet Baker
THE MUSIC OF GRAMMY AWARD-WINNING COMPOSER LENNY KRAVITZ
- “Are You Gonna Go My Way,” by Moog Cookbook
TICKLING THE IVORIES
- “Real Gone Lover,” by Smiley Lewis
SOME TWITTER ACCOUNTS WORTH FOLLOWING
ALBUM COVER OF THE WEEK
MUSICA ON THE FLICKR
POSSIBLY RELATED and/or UNRELATED LINKS
Audio Files is published sporadically and whenever possible.
Latest posts by Michael Cade (Posts)
- Audio files: Happy birthday, Herbie Hancock - April 12, 2013
- Audio files: The pathos of Jacko, plus muumuus and balloons - February 27, 2013
- David Lynch and Russell Brand meditating - December 4, 2012
- A 5-panel, post-Thanksgiving meditation on the greatness of the Incredible Hulk - November 23, 2012
- Meanwhile, in Russia… - November 15, 2012