Welcome back to another edition of “Audio Files.” Let’s start with a quote.
“When I hear old music, its one of the few times I have a kind of love for humanity. You hear the best part of the soul of the common people. You know — it’s their way of expressing their connection to eternity or whatever you want to call it...” — Crumb
- Fellow Portlanders, Leonard Cohen will sing in our verdant abyss on December 8, 2010.
- New book explains the sounds of Star Wars.
- Robert Plant likes Low.
- The new Bill Frisell album features Eyvind Kang and Rudy Royston.
FUN WITH INFRASOUND
Infrasonic monitoring of volcanoes “offers the potential for a detailed understanding of internal volcanic dynamics in both eruptive and non-eruptive states.”
ADVENTURES W/ GOOGLE IMAGES’ “SIMILAR” FUNCTION
- Brian Wilson on the couch, answering questions.
- Frozen lake sings for folks.
- King Buzzo enjoys a Major League Baseball game.
MUSIC AND MULTICULTURALISM
- Morrissey refers to the Chinese as “a subspecies.“
HEATING UP MY PLAYLIST
The Frogs: “Raped,” “Pay,” and “Für Z Muzik Biz (10 Years to Waste).” The Frogs are back on my radar after nearly 10 years. Music critics love them because Eddie Vedder says it’s OK to do so. (I remember reading a Frogs review one time that said something to the effect of: “Wow. These guys are appallingly offensive, but one look at their list of celebrity fans — Eddie Vedder, Kurt Cobain, Billy Corgan — and you know the band’s dark humor comes from a good place.” If ever someone begged for fists to rain down upon him, it was that guy.)
Speaking of the Jesus and Mary Chain, please read these comments from Red Hot Chili Pepper Anthony Kiedis regarding the very first Lollapalooza tour: “The whole show was a lovefest except for the Jesus and Mary Chain, this British group, who were just bitter. They’d polish off a giant bottle of booze by two in the afternoon and curse and put everyone down. One time they went too far with the guys from Ice Cube’s band, and they got themselves a beating.”
Yo La Tango: “Somebody’s Baby.” Pandora’s got me twisted, jammed into a paradox, because I’ve never uttered kind words about Yo La Tango before. Credit where credit is due, though. This is a good cover of the Jackson Browne nugget.
RANDOM SHARDS OF SONIC INFORMATION
It’s your last chance to join my NFL Pick ‘Em League. Do it!
I’ll fade out with that racist sonofabitch Morrissey — “You’re the One For Me, Fatty.”
Latest posts by Michael Cade (Posts)
- September = football = pick ’em leagues - September 3, 2013
- Audio files: Happy birthday, Herbie Hancock - April 12, 2013
- Audio files: The pathos of Jacko, plus muumuus and balloons - February 27, 2013
- David Lynch and Russell Brand meditating - December 4, 2012
- A 5-panel, post-Thanksgiving meditation on the greatness of the Incredible Hulk - November 23, 2012